Wooden wicks are different from the traditional cotton wicks we are used to, as they burn cleaner, longer, and give off that soothing crackling sound everyone enjoys.
Sure, you might think it’s just a candle and it doesn’t require much maintenance. But there are a few tips and tricks you can do before lighting your favorite candle that will make a world of difference.
From the memorable aroma it fills the space with, to the satisfying crackling sound of a burning wooden wick, there’s nothing better than a perfectly groomed candle.
Here's how to care for your candles…
The First Burn:
The first burn is the most important & the most exciting!
- Burn the candle until the wax pool reaches the edge of the vessel before extinguishing.
- This may take at least 3-4 hours but it prevents your candle from tunneling.
- Always use extreme care when burning a candle. The containers will become hot, so please handle them with care and place all burning candles on a heat-resistant surface.
- If you are having issues with the wick catching fire, hold the candle at an angle when lighting; touch the wick with a flame for at least 5-10 seconds.
- If you notice the flame height getting too low after burning for an extended amount of time, it may be necessary to remove any excess ash or burnt wood along the top of the wick. To do this turn off the candle, remove burnt wood, and then turn it back on. The flame will then return to its proper optimal height.
Trimming your Wick:
If you don’t properly trim your wicks, the wick may not light, or the flame may be too high which can be hazardous.
- Trim your wicks to ¼” prior to each burn removing the excess burnt wood.
- We recommended using a wick trimmer. In the case you don’t have one, you can remove it with a piece of paper towel by simply cleaning off the burnt wood.
Keeping your Candle Clean:
No one wants to have a messy candle
- Keep the lid on the candle to prevent dust or dirt particles from getting on the wax or wick.
- Use your candle lid to extinguish the candle. This will help keep the candle burning clean.
- You can gently remove dust by rubbing the surface of the unlit candle wax with a soft damp cloth if needed.
Being Cautious with your Candle:
- A burning candle should not be used as a night light.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Never leave a candle burning unattended. Always burn within sight. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room and before going to bed.